The Saudi British Joint Business Council (SBJBC) is a private sector-led body which aims to strengthen business relations between the United Kingdom and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The UK Co-Chair is Rt Hon Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean, who works alongside her Saudi counterpart, Sheikh Nasser Al-Mutawa Alotaibi. The membership of the Council comprises senior British and Saudi business representatives. The UK Secretariat of the Council (SBJBC UK) is co-located within British Expertise in London, and established as a company limited by guarantee (not for profit), whose UK Executive Director is Chris Innes-Hopkins. The Council of Saudi Chambers houses the Saudi Secretariat, whose Executive Director is Abdul-Karim Al Yaqoub.
The Council’s principal objectives are:
- To develop and enhance relations at all levels between the business communities in both Kingdoms.
- To promote & facilitate private sector commerce & business activity between Saudi Arabia and the UK.
- To communicate with the authorities in both Kingdoms with the aim of improving business-to-business cooperation, as well as assisting in the settling of commercial disputes.
- To facilitate training, technology & knowledge exchange between the two countries.
- To promote business and partnership opportunities, particularly for small and medium sized enterprises.
The Council meets formally at least twice a year in addition to informal meetings. It has established a number of joint working groups in key sectors including; Education & Training, Healthcare, Transport, Financial Services, PPP (Public-Private Partnerships), SMEs (Small & Medium Sized Enterprises) and Offset.
The Council works closely with both governments, as well as other trade associations in pursuit of its objectives, and is a Department for International Trade (DIT) Trade Challenge Partner, as well as an accredited member of the British Chambers of Commerce Global Business Network.